Saturday, October 17, 2009

You know you're in trouble when...

While I'm by no means a genius, I'd like to think that I'm not a complete idiot. However, while driving in the car yesterday, I was made to feel really, really stupid. By my toddler. You see, here's the thing: Ysabella taught me some new vocabulary. I would sort of understand and perhaps even expect this kind of thing later on...you know, years from now....WHEN SHE'S IN SCHOOL!! (You know you're going to be in big trouble when your two and a half year old teaches you some new vocabulary!)

I'm a bit embarassed to say that I didn't know what this new word meant, so I asked her. (And I'm telling you this now for the sake of a great story...) Not only did she look at me like I was a complete idiot, but she also proceeded to define the said word for me! I was close to crashing my car because I was so marvelled. When I got home, I still wasn't sure I believed her, so I had to look up the phrase to see if what she was saying was actually true. Turns out, she was right!


new·fangled (no̵̅o̅faŋgəld, nyo̵̅o̅-adjective
newly done, made, etc.; new; novel: a humorously derogatory term

new-fangled, newfangled If someone describes a new idea or a new piece of equipment as new-fangled, they mean that it is too complicated or is unnecessary.
OLD-FASHIONED adj ADJ n (disapproval) Mr Goss does not believe in any of this `new-fangled nonsense' about lean meat., ...a newfangled tax structure.
new·fan·gled / ˈn(y)oōˈfanggəld; -ˌfang-/ (also new-fan·gled) • adj. derog. different from what one is used to; objectionably new: I've no time for such newfangled nonsense.



Thanks, Thomas!...for clearly doing what I couldn't!
(THOMAS ROCKS!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I have my work cut out for me in Dec!! Gonna bring my dictionary!! LOL Can't wait HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. har har har... I know ALLLLL about this. Charley not only uses newfangled, but "I'm changing the points" and the "engines were coupled up" and 'fuel drums" to name a few. Ah Thomas!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete