He arrived on Air Force One at 1030 am and left at 530pm. At about 340pm, his motorcade (and let me tell you, talk about craziness! We're talking Secret Service Agents, choppers with snipers above head, RCMP, countless police and military...the whole city was prepared, even my hospital and it's helipad were on standby), made a surprise detour to the Byward Market. There, he shopped, shook hands, and bought one of the oh-so-famous Ottawa pastries, the BeaverTail. More specifically, it was a BeaverTail created especially for him in honour of his inauguration, coined the ObamaTail. He also wandered through the Byward Market shaking hands, charming people, leaving most of them awestruck. His last stop before he left the market was at Le Moulin de Provence bakery (Jen, this is the same place the 3 of us pigged out in when you were here this past summer) to buy shortbread cookies in the shape of maple leafs, which he said were for his daughters (awww!).
At 415pm he arrived back at the airport via 'The Beast', a state of the art, self-contained limousine. Ed knew he was in the vicinity of our neighbourhood because he was stopped dead in traffic as he commuted to pick up Bella from daycare. (They closed sooo many roads while his motorcade of something like 60 vehicles passed by en route to the airport via Colonel By and Airport Parkway.) I knew he was in the vicinity because the house shook and vibrated with all those helicopters that flew overhead as they followed the motorcade to the airport (remember, we live only a few km from the airport). Apparently, there was something like 12 miles of airspace closed.
Some pictures to mark the day. Bella with the headlines from today's Ottawa Sun (there were no Ottawa Citizens to be found anywhere, so The Sun was the only local option...)
The Globe & Mail's Headlines:
And because this is a blog about our daughter, I figure I should throw a few more pics in for everybody. ;)
"I have to vacuum the crumbs." (Her exact words, not mine...truthfully! I'm sooo proud of her!) ;)
You know I had to buy her that toddler-sized dust-buster, now we match!

Lifting the rug. Such a good girl! :)

That's all folks! Looking forward to this weekend. (I'm off again, I know, it's crazy!)
No comments:
Post a Comment