I'm not one of those moms that loves the princess phenomenon that little girls go through. There's just something about it that makes me feel icky. Hearing parents call their daughter 'Our Little Princess' makes me cringe. My thought is, if you call a little girl a princess, she'll start to act like one, which will in turn set up so many of the wrong expectations. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather her forever play with dolls, trains, and tools. However, some things are inevitable. While we haven't yet read her a 'princess' book/story (unless The Paperbag Princess by Robert Munch counts?), or played her a 'princess' movie (though we likely will have to in the very near future), she knows what a princess is. Probably from the bigger girls at daycare. That being said, she thinks she knows who Spiderman and Superman are too. She runs around the house yelling "I'm Superman!" and I'm certain she has no idea who this person is. She just happens to copy Henry, her best bud (who is about 6 mos older) at daycare.
I suppose there are waaay worse things she could learn from the bigger kids, right?
We've been very lucky to receive numerous hand-me-downs from friends and family. We love them! One such bag of clothes from our neighbour contained a number of dress-up clothes. Ysabella discovered this bag yesterday in the basement (minus the tiara, which has been hanging around the house for months...) She found a couple of princess skirts, (which she layered), a princess purse, and of course, high-heeled princess shoes (you know, the kind that click when she walks on the hardwood or tile!) I couldn't help but laugh as she walked out of the laundry room dressed like this: (and yes, I realize I
completely reinforced the princess theme by taking photos!) Like I said, it's inevitable.


And this was just one of many princess/fairy outfits. Perhaps there will be more princess photos in the future.
Perhaps.
No comments:
Post a Comment