Friday, May 06, 2011

For my mom.

This year marks a very special Mother's Day for myself and our family. As some of you may already know, my mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She has already had 2 surgeries to have the tumour removed and very soon, after an upcoming round of radiation, we are hoping to declare that she will be cancer-free. Thankfully, the tumour was caught in the very early stages and even though her type of cancer is invasive, there is a clear treatment and we have every reason to be optimistic that it will be nothing but successful. There is certainly a lot to be said for routine mammograms and early detection. It saved her life. So, in that sense, we are very, very lucky.

I don't know what I'd do without my mom. Even though we have lived far apart for the last 12 years, she has been there for me during every single important moment of my life. She worked hard, as did my father, to always make sure that her 4 children never did without, even and after she became a widow at the (too young) age of 48. (I always knew 48 was young, but now that my husband is 41, now that I am a wife and a mother, I am just starting to understand what it must have been like for her. ) I couldn't imagine my life without my husband 7 years from now. I couldn't imagine.

My mom has gone through this cancer diagnosis and treatment and she has shown strength from the beginning, strength beyond what I knew she already possessed. It's almost as if she never gave the cancer a second thought. She was diagnosed, and perhaps she was a little bit scared, but if she was, it didn't seem that way for too long. It was as if the cancer was just something that has gotten in the way of the many things she has planned. It was as if it was a small hurdle, an insignificant stumble along life's journey. It was as if she fell down, scuffed her knee, and then she quickly got back up while glancing over her shoulder to make sure that nobody saw her fall. She has too many things to do and this isn't about to stop her. I admire this. Ed and I always joke to her about the way she's so casual. Everything is always fine with her. We joke with her that she should have an opinion. Everything is always "It doesn't matter to me!"or "Whatever you guys want!". We've eventually learned to not ask her for suggestions. (She never offers one.) Tell us what you want for dinner! Tell us what you want to do! Tell me the shirt I'm wearing is nice. Or hideous! Give me something...anything!

Ed always jokes about the fact that most people dread when their mother-in-law visits. He feels the exact opposite about my mom. He is sure to always tell her that anytime she wants to come and visit she is more than welcome, and he even goes so far as to say: "Pat, would you like to come and live with us?.... because I would be fine with that!" She infuses an air of happiness and easy-breezy-ness that you can't help but love. (And it certainly doesn't hurt that she contributes to cleaning up after the meals, folding the laundry....) ;)

She has learned to not sweat the small stuff. Or, in her case, the big stuff, either. And there's something to be said for that. Life is way too short. So, thanks mom, for being you. For being strong, and for always being there for me and my family.

Happy Mother's Day, from all of us. We love you. xoxo
I couldn't possibly post all the photos I had, but here's a few.

Our family, 1978.


Celebrating mom's 60th in December 2006.


Mom with Ysabella, February 2007.


Day trip to Merrickville, August, 2007.


Mom with a very relaxed Alejandro, September, 2010.


Mom with Alex, April 2011.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I wish her continued strength! And that picture of Alex with the weak wrists is too, too funny. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drying his fingernails maybe? Airing out his armpits? Who knows...heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl...that was beautifully written about your mom. A lot can be learned about "enjoying life" and "not sweating the small stuff". She's a positive influence....you are very blessed.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete