Like I said, we tried so hard to make it fun, but it ended up being the fastest Christmas tree pickup ever. In all, I think we spent about an hour outdoors. Because it was so darn cold (and that wind!!!), we didn't actually venture out to the field to search for, and chop down a tree. Instead, we chose one from the lot. We tried to get Bella involved in choosing the tree, but she wanted nothing to do with it. She thought pounding on some ice with a stick was more fun. (I had visions of her slipping on the ice and poking her eye out daddy-style.)
"What about this one?"
Bella played for a few minutes on the play structure with the other kids. This was followed by some hot chocolate (or rather, some luke-warm water with a sprinkle of chocolate-like-substance), and cookies by the firepit. (Even Bella said: "This doesn't taste very good, mommy!"... and then there was the 2 cookie limit, because, you know, the $55, 6-ft Christmas tree couldn't possibly cover the cost of having 3 cookies!! There was no need to be greedy, people!)
A bit warmer by the fire. Me: "I'll stay here, thank you very much!"
Ed...doesn't he look all warm and fuzzy? ;-) (Did I mention that it was reallly cold that day?)
While papa secures the tree, Alex warms his frozen little nose inside the van.
Can you hear Ed swearing? I think his fingers were about to fall off. And Bella was being a big, big help! har har har.
It took a few days to decorate because I had to go out and buy some plastic ornaments for Bella to put up. (She broke a glass ornament by accident and it just about traumatized her.) And I won't mention the 3 separate attempts it took for me to string the lights properly...
All in all, it was certainly an adventure. But I think next time, we'll try to go when there's snow on the ground and when the temperature isn't -20C.
No comments:
Post a Comment