I think she is processing all this talk of an impending baby brother or sister, and as a result, she has been very busy playing mommy to her many babies. She even has a favourite baby. One that she coloured with black crayon on it's head (perhaps she thought it needed hair?), one that is so filthy that I'm ready to toss it out. (Isn't that the way it always goes? What is it with kids and dirty stuffed animals/blankets/toys?) I'm embarrassed every time she wants to take it with her/us out of the house. (I'm pretty sure I can toss it in the washing machine but I'll have to do it when she isn't looking.)
She feeds the babies, puts them on the toilet when they have to pee (or changes their diaper, depending on the baby), plays with them, and puts them to bed for naps. The filthy baby, aka "Sheila" or "Sally" or "Isabella", (depending on the day), sleeps right next to her in her bed.
And speaking of bed, Ysabella has officially been sleeping in her big girl bed for over a week now. I'm not sure what we did to deserve this, but most nights, she climbs into her bed, we read her stories, turn on her bedtime music, and she falls asleep relatively quickly. Yay for that! And most days, she still takes her 2-3 hour afternoon nap. Double Yay for that! (I was so afraid that naps would end when transitioning her to a bed.) I'm not ready for the naps to stop, so I'm very grateful that she still needs them/wants them most days.
Ysabella with 2 of her many babies (yet none of them are wearing clothes, for some reason...)
In other news, I am officially off work until I deliver this little wee baby. Blame it on a very irritable and over-excited, already-contracting uterus. (Regular, as in everyday contractions, started at just 17 weeks this time around.) I suppose 12 hour shifts didn't help the situation, either. Similar situation as when I was pregnant with Bella, except these contractions seem to be much more uncomfortable. Last week I contracted every 5 min for 3 hours and was just about to head to the hospital when a warm bath helped them subside. Phew! I'm not ready to have a baby just yet! 28 weeks was way too early for my comfort level. So for now, I'm taking it easy. Well, as 'easy' as you can take it with a 3 1/2 year old.
So, to help pass the time, and to keep both Bella and I sane, yesterday, we went for a 'nature walk' (as Ysabella called it). I like to call it more of a leisurely stroll on a path. (Pics to come later). Before the walk, I needed my cup of decaf Java, and Bella wanted to play with the trains at Chapters, so we headed to the local Starbucks/Chapter's store. We were up and out the door so early that even Chapter's wasn't open yet. You should have seen Ysabella's face when she saw the gates/doors were closed to Chapter's and she realized she couldn't play with the trains. It was so sad, so pathetic. It really broke my heart. Huge tears welled up in her eyes and her lower lip actually quivered. Then she let it all out. A huge, huge cry. (I promised her we'd come back after the walk.)
It was apparently a very traumatic experience for her because at the breakfast table this morning she said this to me:
"Mommy, do you remember that we were up so early yesterday morning that Chapter's was still closed? It made me so freaking sad!"
Yes folks, she said the word "freaking". I almost spit out my toast. I suppose it could have been worse, right? I should be happy that it wasn't the actual f-word, but a milder, edited form? It's true what they say, kids not only hear everything but they remember everything! And what's even more frightening is how they use these new words perfectly in a sentence, proper context and all. Her brain is a sponge, I tell ya!
Ysabella and her favourite baby 'Sally' at our local Starbucks, getting ready to have a treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment