Monday, April 26, 2010

Bonfires and Marshmallows.

Our neighbours Bev & Stan have the best backyard in the neighbourhood. A large irregular shaped lot complete with lots of green grass, a deck, gorgeous flower gardens, a play structure (slide, swings), a couple of hammocks, a goldfish pond, a rock garden, badminton nets, a trampoline and a fire pit. It's a little oasis in the city and it's completely conducive to summer fun for all ages. The school-aged neighbourhood kids converge there after school for outdoor play and it's the first place Ysabella wants to go when she gets home from daycare.

Saturday night was a beautiful night, it was almost summer-like, and we were invited over to their place for a bonfire. Ysabella had her first taste of roasted marshmallows. She gagged on them (I think it was a bit too mushy and was hard for her to swallow...) but she certainly liked the uncooked ones fresh out of the bag. I'm not a huge fan of roasted marshmallows, I find them a bit too sweet for my liking, so this summer, I think I will introduce them to extra thick bacon roasted over a fire on a slice of white bread with ketchup. In honour of the old camping days with my dad. Yum-yum!

Some photos from Saturday night:

Jake, Bella & Mel enjoy the fire. Bella is mesmerized.


Bella tries her first roasted marshmallow.

So far, it looks like she likes it...

It was about a second after this photo was taken that she almost threw up. But she wanted to like it so much!

Bev & Stan cozy up by the fire.

It's dark out and Ysabella is still mesmerized by the fire.


Looking forward to lots more summer fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment