Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Prep.

And what logically follows a Halloween Post in December? That's right folks, a Christmas post! (Why, of course that makes sense.)

For the first time since having children, I think I might actually be ready for Christmas before Christmas Eve. (Well now, let's not get that crazy, I haven't finished wrapping yet!) I officially went part time mid-October, however, I am only now starting to feel as though I am actually working part-time. I have just recently reduced my work hours significantly - to the bare minimum hours for the 2 weeks before and almost 2 weeks immediately following Christmas. (My bank account might not thank me later, but it's a small price to pay to be home with the family.) I am especially cognizant this year of how precious time is with family & friends and I'm basking in the season. I don't even mind that winter is here.

This month has been full of fun activities thus far. This year I decided that Bella was old enough to attend the Ballet for the first time. We went to The National Arts Centre's annual performance of The Nutcracker, as performed this year by The Alberta Ballet. (You have to understand, Ysabella has seen Barbie and the Nutcracker about a dozen times, so I knew she'd already be familiar with both the story and the music.) And our friend's daughter was chosen to perform in this year's show, so that made it all the more exciting for us/her and the perfect year for us to go for the first time. It was a fun night and Bella got to dress up. (It's so much fun for young girls to get dressed up in fancy clothes during the holiday season!) And you should have seen all the little girls wearing fancy dresses...so cute!

Bella and I dressed up and posed for the camera for what I think may just be our First Annual Girls Night Out to The Nutcracker.

Bella's friend met us at the Ballet with her mom. Bella had no idea she would be there, and they were so excited to see each other.
Bella was so intense watching the show. I wasn't sure how'd she fare given the fact that she was up past her bedtime, not to mention the length of the ballet, but she didn't take her eyes of dancers. Nor did I, for the costumes and set design were simply magical.

Below, post-show. The NAC had set up some beautiful Holiday Sets, perfect for individuals/families/couples to pose for some Holiday photos. We snapped up that opportunity! 

Not to feel left out, Alex wanted to get dressed up as well. He was on his way to bed (without the shoes) just as we were leaving for the show.


And on to other news; ie; Christmas Lists. I'm happy to report that despite being in school for 2 years now, Ysabella still doesn't come home asking for name-brand anything. (The request for a Holiday Barbie, below, came simply because we looked through a Toys R Us flyer a few weeks ago, and it was the one thing that caught her eye.) She is loving Barbies these days, and she has about 10 of them (all of them hand-me-downs) from our 2 teenage girl babysitters (sisters) that were kind enough to give them to her when she was about 3yrs old. It nostalgic for me and it makes me wish I had kept my 'Peaches & Cream' Barbie doll from when I was young. 

As you can see, she has also wished for a 2 wheeler. This, Santa will not be bringing this year because she already has about 3 bikes in the garage. Oh, and she doesn't know how to ride a 2 wheeler just yet. (We'll work on that milestone this year.)
Diamond tiara. (We helped her with the spelling of those 2 big words...)
Snow Globe.

Even though Bella wrote her list, at first she wasn't interested in seeing Santa this year. She said she only went last year because she was being brave. I asked her if she would be brave for Alex this year and she simply said: "No". I didn't push it. Especially because I knew there was no way that my Never-Leaves-My-Arms-Mamma's-Boy-Alex would ever look at Santa, let alone sit on his lap. So, we awoke Saturday morning, and I again asked her if she wanted to go see Santa. She surprised me by saying "Yes"...but we had to bring the list to go over it with him.
He entered the mall in a great big flowing red coat. We were one of the first people in line, so she was able to wave to him (and him to her) as he entered. She was shy at first. But all he had to say was: "Hi Alex! Hi Bella! Oh my, how you've grown since last year!" and that was it. She smiled as if he was an old friend and then she hopped on his lap and immediately opened her letter. They discussed it. I immediately placed Alex on his lap and I stepped away. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! He didn't look for me, he didn't blink an eye, AND he didn't cry! He was so captivated by this huge man with the big white beard that he just stared at him! And smiled. And he even said a few times "HoHoHo". It was just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. The whole experience lasted only a few minutes, but I still smile thinking about it today.





No comments:

Post a Comment