Monday, June 06, 2011

Could that be light?

Well folks, after 96 hours of fever, 35 diapers full of diarrhea (yes, I kept count!), countless loads of laundry as a direct result of being vomited or pooped on, 2 bottles of Pediatric Advil, 13 hours at CHEO (on 2 separate occasions), a few sleepless nights, and one much skinner baby than before all this started, I think we may have finally made it through to the other side. (And so far, the rest of the family has been spared. Knock on wood.)

So, in the end, it actually was coincidental that Alejandro developed a fever just 36 hours after choking and vomiting while laying on his back. (I was so worried that a little bit of vomit may have entered his lungs and was causing an infection.) As it turns out, his lungs were fine, and it was nothing more than a viral gastroenteritis. Nothing more?! Hmm. I have never had a child so sick before.

I couldn't bare to take any pictures of Alex in the past 4 days, he just felt and looked so, so awful, it really was a sad state. It broke my heart. Well, actually, I did take that one quick photo as he was getting his xray taken:
You probably can't see all the details, so I'll explain this contraption. It's a rolling table with a bike seat. The baby is put on this bike seat and their feet are left to dangle below through a hole in the table. Then, they pull both their arms up and secure them with a soft flexitble clear plastic shield, tightened around the baby's torso using velcro straps. There is a small hole for the baby's face to poke through so they can breath (and scream and cry). :( Once the baby is secured, they roll the baby over, arms above their head to be x-rayed. As I said before, it reminded me of Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs. Creepy I know, but that's the first thing that came to my mind as they rolled him away.

And of course, there was that one video, too. Glassy eyes, red febrile cheeks, yet somehow he could still find it in him to laugh...poor peanut.


On to brighter days and a brighter, healthier week! (And to try to find a way to put some weight back on that baby of mine!)

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby! Glad he's doing better. Get him nice and chubby again. xo

    ReplyDelete